What Do The Fhs Test Results Mean
Your FSH results vary by age and gender. For men, normal values before puberty are between 0 and 5.0 IU/L while the values are between 0.3 and 10 IU/L during puberty. Normal values for adults are between 1.5 and 12.4 IU/L.
For women, normal values are as follows: between 0 and 4.0 IU/L before puberty, between 0.3 and 10 IU/L during puberty, between 4.7 and 21.5 IU/L for women who still get their menstrual period, and between 25.8 and 134.8 IU/L after menopause.
When you get tested for FSH, results can help identify whether abnormal levels are caused by the failure of the ovaries themselves, which is referred to as primary ovarian failure or, by a failure of the ovaries as a result of pituitary and hypothalamus disorders that is referred to as secondary ovarian failure.
If a man is being tested and wants to understand the results, heres what he should know. Low levels of FSH are normally linked to disorders of the pituitary glands and the hypothalamus. On the other hand, high levels of this hormone are caused by a primary testicular failure, which could be caused by many factors such as:
- Developmental defects in the testicular growth
- Failure to develop the gonads, referred to as gonadal agenesis
- Chromosomal abnormalities, which is the case for Klinefelter syndrome.
- Viral infections such as mumps
- Autoimmune diseases
- Tumor of the germ cell
What Do High Fsh Levels Mean
High FSH levels are an indication that your body has to work harder than normal to create a mature egg of good quality. Thats usually because your ovarian reserves are low or you have few quality eggs left. Its part of the aging process and usually happens with women 38 or older. If a younger woman experiences high FSH levels, she may have premature ovarian failure, which means her ovaries have fewer eggs than normal for her age.
While high FSH levels may mean lower success rates with IVF treatment, thats not always true. Some women with high FSH levels do well with fertility medications that stimulate the follicles. But its important to know your FSH levels so your doctor can advise the treatment with the greatest chance of success.
What Can Cause Fsh To Change
Changes in FSH levels may be caused by an imbalance in the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus. Equally, individuals who have had eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia tend to have reduced FSH levels.
A common reason for increased levels of FSH in females is the menopause. FSH is released to cause ovulation by maturing ovarian follicles. However, during the menopause, the ovaries stop working and no longer produce follicles. Usually, once a follicle matures and releases an egg, a structure called the corpus luteum forms which produces progesterone and suppresses the release of FSH. However, because there are no follicles and subsequently no corpus luteum, FSH levels continue to rise.
Read Also: Hemoglobin Level To Donate Blood
What Are Normal Fsh Levels In Women
In women, FSH levels in the blood can range from as low as 0.1 mIU/mL during pregnancy to above 100 mIU/mL during menopause. Therefore, normal FSH levels vary depending on factors such as your age, whether or not you are pregnant, and what stage of the menstrual cycle you are in.
In women with regular menstrual cycles, FSH levels tend to range from 1.4-9.9 mIU/mL during the first half of the menstrual cycle before rising up to 17.2 mIU/mL during ovulation.
During pregnancy, FSH levels drop to 0.1 mIU/mL.
In women approaching menopause, FSH levels can vary dramatically depending on the regularity of their menstrual cycle. Once menopause is reached, FSH levels rise to above 30 mIU/mL, and can even reach over 100 mIU/mL.
How Is Primary Ovarian Insufficiency Treated
Currently, there is no proven treatment to restore normal function to a woman’s ovaries. But there are treatments for some of the symptoms of POI. There are also ways to lower your health risks and treat the conditions that POI can cause:
- Hormone replacement therapy .HRT is the most common treatment. It gives your body the estrogen and other hormones that your ovaries are not making. HRT improves sexual health and decreases the risks for heart disease and osteoporosis. You usually take it until about age 50 that’s about the age when menopause usually begins.
- Calcium and vitamin D supplements. Because women with POI are at higher risk for osteoporosis, you should take calcium and vitamin D every day.
- In vitro fertilization . If you have POI and you wish to become pregnant, you may consider trying IVF.
- Regular physical activity and a healthy body weight.Getting regular exercise and controlling your weight can lower your risk for osteoporosis and heart disease.
- Treatments for associated conditions. If you have a condition that is related to POI, it is important to treat that as well. Treatments may involve medicines and hormones.
NIH: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Blood Vessels On Face
Heres What You Need To Know
Certain medications and drugs will affect the FSH and LH blood test results. High results may occur when taking certain medications that are used to stimulate the reproductive system. Lower results may be seen when taking oral contraceptives or receiving certain hormone treatments. Women who have a confirmed pregnancy will normally have decreased results.
Women typically receive more of these blood tests over time than men because the concentrations of these hormones can change frequently. Men will typically have this test ordered for them just once if there is a suspected reproductive issue. Women may have this test ordered on a monthly basis in comparison.
Home tests are also available to measure FSH in urine samples if the FSH and LH blood test is not preferred.
The FSH and LH blood test provides information that can help couples find a way to become pregnant. It can also help doctors understand why children may be entering puberty early or have a delayed puberty entry. This allows a treatment plan to be developed so that the best possible outcome can potentially be achieved.
Low Fsh Levels In Women
Having a low FSH level can indicate:
- You arenât making eggs
- The pituitary gland is not functioning correctly
- There is a problem with the hypothalamus
- You are underweight or have lost weight quickly
- Eating large amounts of soy
- You may have hypothyroidism
Symptoms of low FSH levels include delayed puberty, infertility, and irregular menstrual cycles.
Don’t Miss: Normal Range Of Red Blood Cells
Why Take The Fsh Test
This test is helpful to evaluate any fertility problems a couple may be having, as well as understanding the functioning of the reproductive organs such as the ovaries in the testicles. Getting tested for FSH can also help assess the functions of the pituitary gland as well as the hypothalamus. Couples, who are trying to conceive, may notice that women have to take the FSH test numerous times while men just have to sit for it once. The reason is that womens levels of this hormone are cycle and fluctuate within the same menstruation. Men, on the other hand, have stable levels.
Women use this test to investigate any irregularities in their menstruation, such as the absence or delays in menstrual cycles. It is also a great predictor of the beginning of menopause.
Men, on the other hand, use the FHS test to understand why they have a low sperm count. It also helps diagnose the cause of a low muscle mass or a decreased sex drive.
What Does Fsh Do
FSH stimulates egg growth. More specifically, it stimulates follicles in your ovaries. The follicle grows around an egg. As they grow, the egg inside the follicle matures. If your FSH level is high, your body needs more FSH than normal to stimulate this growth. A lower FSH level usually means your ovaries are functioning well with average stimulation.
FSH also boosts your bodys production of estradiol. This type of estrogen helps eggs mature and release. It also helps the uterine lining thicken properly for implantation of the fertilized egg.
Also Check: High Blood Pressure And Stress
Why You Might Get It
Your doctor may suggest this test for the following reasons:
- Problems getting pregnant.
- Irregular periods. For women, your period has stopped or isnât happening when it should.
- Menopause. The FSH test can help diagnose when women will naturally stop having their period, which usually happens after the age of 45.
- Low sperm count. This could also include symptoms like lower sex drive or muscle mass.
- Early or late puberty. For kids who start puberty earlier or later than normal, the hormone test is one way to tell if thereâs a bigger problem involving the hypothalamus , the pituitary itself, ovaries, testicles or other parts of your body.
- Pituitary or hypothalamus disorders. Problems here can affect how much FSH are made in your body. Other symptoms include fatigue, weight loss, and lower appetite.
High Fsh Levels In Women
High FSH levels can mean your body is working harder to produce the hormone, and you’re not producing quality eggs. Some conditions can cause elevated FSH levels, including:
Hot flashes, irregular periods, skin and hair changes, poor sleep, and the inability to become pregnant are associated with high FSH levels.
Read Also: Blood Pressure 160 Over 80
What Causes Primary Ovarian Insufficiency
In about 90% of cases, the exact cause of POI is unknown.
Research shows that POI is related to problems with the follicles. Follicles are small sacs in your ovaries. Your eggs grow and mature inside them. One type of follicle problem is that you run out of working follicles earlier than normal. Another is that the follicles are not working properly. In most cases, the cause of the follicle problem is unknown. But sometimes the cause may be:
- Genetic disorders such as Fragile X syndrome and Turner syndrome
- A low number of follicles
- Autoimmune diseases, including thyroiditis and Addison disease
- Chemotherapy or radiation therapy
- Toxins, such as cigarette smoke, chemicals, and pesticides
Is There Anything Else I Need To Know About An Lh Test
There is an at-home test that measures LH levels in urine. The kit is designed to detect the rise in LH that happens just before ovulation. This test may help you figure out when you will be ovulating and have the best chances of getting pregnant. But you should not use this test to prevent pregnancy. It is not reliable for that purpose.
Recommended Reading: Blood Test What Is Mch
What Happens During An Estrogen Test
Estrogens can be tested in blood, urine, or saliva. Blood or urine is usually tested in doctor’s office or lab. Saliva tests can be done at home.
For a blood test:
A health care professional will take a blood sample from a vein in your arm, using a small needle.
After the needle is inserted, a small amount of blood will be collected into a test tube or vial. You may feel a little sting when the needle goes in or out. This usually takes less than five minutes.
For a urine test:
Your health care provider may ask you to collect all urine passed in a 24-hour period. This is called a 24-hour urine sample test. For this test, your health care provider or a laboratory professional will give you a container to collect your urine and instructions on how to collect and store your samples. A 24-hour urine sample test generally includes the following steps:
- Empty your bladder in the morning and flush that urine down. Do not collect this urine. Record the time.
- For the next 24 hours, save all your urine passed in the container provided.
- Store your urine container in the refrigerator or a cooler with ice.
- Return the sample container to your health provider’s office or the laboratory as instructed.
For an at-home saliva test, talk your health care provider. He or she can tell you which kit to use and how to prepare and collect your sample.
When To Speak With A Doctor About The Fsh & Lh Blood Test
Women should speak to their doctor and the FSH and LH blood test if they are having problems getting pregnant and have been trying for several months. Women who do not have menstrual periods or have irregular periods should also discuss this blood test with their doctor.
Men should speak to their doctor about this blood test if they are unable to get their partner pregnant and testing confirms it isnt a health issue with their partner. If a low sperm count has been detected or if there is a decreased sex drive that is accompanied by a shrinking muscle mass, men should also think about scheduling an appointment.
The signs and symptoms of a pituitary gland disorder should also be evaluated by a medical professional. This includes: weakness, weight loss, decreased appetite, and persistent fatigue.
Also Check: Best Blood Glucose Meter 2022
Fsh Levels And Fertility Success Rates
FSH levels are just one way doctors predict success rates with fertility treatments like IVF and IUI. However, they are also one of the most reliable indicators of whether you will achieve a successful pregnancy. With this test and other hormone tests, your doctor can advise you of your next steps. Fertility is all about timing, so its important to understand any underlying health concerns as soon as possible. With this information, you can work with your doctor to find the treatment option that gives you the greatest chance of conceiving.
Please remember that high FSH doesnt necessarily mean you wont conceive. It may, however, indicate that you need to consider additional options. Your doctor may also order additional tests before they make a recommendation.
If you have any questions or concerns about your FSH levels, please let your nurse or doctor know. We realize that high FSH levels can be confusing or overwhelming for patients, and we want to help you walk through your next steps with as little anxiety as possible. Contact us at the Fertility Center today with questions about you have about improving your fertility and how we can help.
What Do The Fsh And Lh Blood Test Results Mean
Most medical providers will order this blood test with other hormone tests to look at testosterone and estrogen levels. If the test is ordered as part of a fertility evaluation, then high or low levels may indicate a failure of the reproduction system. It can help a doctor distinguish between a complete failure of the ovaries and testicles or if there is a secondary failure responsible for the issue, such as one caused by the pituitary gland.
It may also be used to detect the presence of radiation exposure, the effectiveness of chemotherapy, or an autoimmune disease. Chomosomal abnormalities, such as Turner syndrome, may also be detected with this blood test. Low levels may be an indication of injury, the presence of mumps, germ cell tumors, and have an increased risk of a cancer within the reproductive system.
In children, the FSH and LH blood test results mean there may be the presence of a tumor or a cyst. There may also be a brain injury from trauma or infection. Some children who receive a brain surgery will have abnormal results.
Also Check: Blood In Blood Out Full Movie Uncut
How To Prepare For The Fsh Test
For the FSH test, individuals need not take any preparations.
However, before taking FSH test, women must inform doctors if they are consuming –
- Prescription or non-prescription medications
The normal range of FSH levels in males is stated as per a medical institutions report and can vary from the range of other medical institutions.
As individuals are aware of the normal range of FSH in both women and men, anything below or above the specified range points to a low or high level of FSH in humans.
- In women, high FSH levels can cause diseases like an ovarian failure, polycystic ovarian syndrome, a chromosomal abnormality.
- On the other hand, a low FSH level can reduce the ability to produce eggs. It may also mean that the pituitary gland is not functioning properly, or another tumour is affecting the production of FSH.
- A high level of FSH in men can indicate Klinefelters syndrome, dysfunctional testicles, damaged testicles due to alcohol dependency, or treatments such as X-rays or chemotherapy.
- A low level of FSH in men indicates a low sperm count.
- A high level of FSH in children indicates puberty is about to start.
When Thyroid Levels May Be Tested
You may need a thyroid hormone test if you have symptoms of either an underactive thyroid or an overactive thyroid .
Hypothyroidism symptoms include:
If results start out with low TSH and high thyroid hormones and then reverse with further testing, it indicates thyroiditis, which is inflammation of the thyroid gland.
You May Like: Massive Blood Clots With Period
Why Do I Need An Fsh Levels Test
If you are a woman, you may need this test if:
- You’ve been unable to get pregnant after 12 months of trying.
- Your menstrual cycle is irregular.
- Your periods have stopped. The test may be used to find out if you have gone through menopause or are in perimenopause
If you are a man, you may need this test if:
- You’ve been unable to get your partner pregnant after 12 months of trying.
- Your sex drive is decreased.
Both men and women may need testing if they have symptoms of a pituitary disorder. These include some of the symptoms listed above, as well as:
Your child may need an FSH test if he or she does not seem to be starting puberty at the right age .