Possible Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction:
Many things can lead to erectile dysfunction because a mans brain, heart, nerves, muscles, emotions, and all other factors affect his ability to get an erection. These mainly include:
- Relationship challenges
Vitamins And Supplements For Increased Blood Flow
For example, your cognitive function can decline if your brain is receiving inadequate blood supply. Or reduced blood flow could lead to erectile dysfunction.
There are vitamins, minerals, and supplements that many believe can help improve your circulation. For example:
- Vitamin E. You can easily incorporate this vitamin into your diet by preparing foods using oils like wheat germ oil, hazelnut oil, sunflower oil, and other nut oils. Also, you can purchase food-grade vitamin E oil at most natural food stores and even many grocery stores.
- B vitamins. You will find vitamin B supplements in most grocery and drugstore vitamin aisles. Leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale are great sources of these vitamins.
- Iron. This mineral is available in supplement form, which makes it easy to ingest an adequate amount. Itâs possible to get enough iron through your diet too, by eating a lot of red meats and leafy green vegetables. Because of the cardiovascular risks associated with red meat, your doctor may advise you to choose the supplement and leafy greens instead of increasing your red meat intake.
Erectile Dysfunction And Blood Flow
In order to understand the link between erectile dysfunction and blood flow, its useful to address the basics of erectile function.
As a result, blood flows to fill in the open spaces. The blood produces engorgement and thereby gives you an erection. Proper blood flow is ensured through the release of nitric oxide, which is a vasodilator .
Recommended Reading: Reasons You Can’t Donate Blood
Side Effects Of Erectile Dysfunction Medications
The side effects of different ED medications are almost identical because they all work basically the same.
Approximately 15% of people experience side effects of ED medication. Common side effects are:
Less common side effects are:
- Priapism â a prolonged erection that lasts more than four hours
- Heart attack, stroke, cerebrovascular hemorrhage, palpitations, and arrhythmias
- Hearing loss or a ringing in the ears
- Swelling and pain in the arms and legs
You should stop using ED medication and seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Priapism â a prolonged erection that lasts more than four hours
- Sudden vision change or loss
- Sudden hearing loss or ringing in the ears
- An allergic reaction like lip or face swelling, wheezing or trouble breathing, hives
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, or nausea during sex
Ways To Increase Blood Flow To Penis:
You May Like: National Heart Lung And Blood Institute
How Can I Improve My Erections
If the blood circulation in your body is pretty good, but you are still suffering from poor erections, it might be that youre suffering from erectile dysfunction or ED. Getting a diagnosis of ED is a tough pill to swallow, but thankfully several real ED medications are a lot easier to deal with and can make the world of difference to your sexual life.
Millions of men who are suffering from erectile dysfunction are turning towards medical intervention to help improve their erections.
Recently, there is a range of approved and licensed ED drugs that are available to buy online. However, on the natural side, you can take ashwagandha supplements to boost the testosterone level which makes your erection harder.
For getting ashwagandhas benefits for ED, you need to remember to consume your ashwagandha intake each day. Like we have said, ashwagandha powder is not magical which will give you quick results.
You will get results only if you maintain consuming it properly. You have to take ashwagandha pill/ powder for ED tablets habitually for at least 4-6 months for adequate results.
Ashwagandha Mix: As we mentioned above, Ashwagandha is the king of Ayurvedic herbs. Ashwagandha tablets function admirably for diminishing pressure and uneasiness. It might also improve strength, performance, and increment testosterone levels. Ashwagandha tablets also work well as testosterone booster for men.
Reasons That Stop Blood Flow To Penis:
You May Like: Anion Gap Low On Blood Test
How Can I Improve Overall Blood Flow
Looking after your heart is the first step towards good blood flow. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart disease, improving your heart health should be a top priority and is likely already something your doctor has advised.
If youre not suffering from any underlying causes of poor circulation, some general lifestyle changes can be enough to get the blood pumping in all the right places.
Eat Foods That Promote Proper Bloodflow
There are countless foods that can help you get on the right track to improve blood circulation. That includes capsaicin , ginger, fatty fish, and a host of other yummy dishes.
Now, you do not have to make those foods the center point of every meal, but you can add them into the rotation to have a proper diet that helps support blood to your member downstairs. Adding ginger tea to your morning breakfast is a sneaky way to include it in your diet.
Additionally, putting more hot sauce on your food is just as easy and maybe even makes it more enjoyable.
Maintain A Healthy Body Weight
While theres no need to obsess over your body fat percentage or weigh yourself every day, its important to maintain a healthy weight for optimal blood circulation, cardiovascular function and sexual performance.
Obesity and erectile dysfunction are closely linked, with men who are overweight or obese more likely than average to experience some sexual performance issues.
There are also other sex-related issues related to obesity, such as the risk of developing lower testosterone levels than average. All of these make it important to maintain a healthy weight if youre concerned about blood flow and overall sexual performance.
Elm & Rye Performance Enhancer
Image courtesy Elm & Rye
Elm & Rye Performance Enhancer is a dietary supplement that is designed to improve your sexual performance. It contains a blend of all-natural ingredients that are clinically proven to help improve sexual function and stamina.
Muira puama is a bush that naturally grows in the Amazon region. The wood and root are used to make various medicines for the locals. Traditionally this ingredient is used for increasing sexual desire in healthy people, improving issues with menstrual disorders, and helping with joint pain.
This supplement is sent to a third party for evaluation on proper use and quality ingredients. The lab results from this third party are then shared online on Elm & Rye’s website for the general public to see.
You May Like: 5 Reasons To Donate Blood
Exercise And Lose Weight
Maintaining a healthy weight through the right diet and exercise can limit your chances of suffering from poor blood flow and the erectile dysfunction problems that can come with it. Being overweight is linked to various serious conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, all of which can contribute to your likelihood of suffering from ED.
A study has shown that just 40 minutes of aerobic exercise 4 times a week can vastly improve erectile function, so no better reason to dig out your trainers and get moving. Now!
Drink Less Alcohol And Quit Smoking
Both of these habits have severe physical and mental side effects associated with chronic use. While most people are probably aware that alcohol can damage the liver and smoking can damage the lungs, they both can have an effect on your blood flow as well.
Alcohol is a vasodilator, meaning that it relaxes blood vessels and allows more blood to flow throughout your body, skin, and tissues. As a result, your blood pressure drops and your heart has to pump harder to make up the difference. While this wont be devastating occasionally, consuming large amounts of alcohol consistently can lead to circulatory issues.
Smoking, on the other hand, is bad for your blood flow even in small amounts. Unlike alcohol, nicotine is known as a vasoconstrictor and has the opposite effect: your blood vessels constrict and become more narrow. As a result, blood pressure can skyrocket. This can lead to the heart working much harder than necessary, and over time, can lead to substantial and permanent damage to your cardiovascular system.
Recommended Reading: Can I Take Zyrtec With High Blood Pressure
What Is Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction² is the inability to obtain and maintain an erection for successful sexual intercourse and conception.
An erection can be caused by more than just physical touch. Erections can also be driven by emotions, including sexual or arousing thoughts.
When an erection is caused by physical touch, this is called the reflex response through activation of the parasympathetic nervous system .³ When emotions cause it, this is the psychogenic response through certain pathways in the brain, including the limbic pathway, which is involved in emotional response.
The normal sexual function involves the coordination of several systems within the body. When any component is altered, this can affect the erectile response and cause ED.
ED can also result in the inability to have or keep an erection long enough for sexual intercourse. This, in turn, can cause male infertility.
How Can I Increase My Blood Flow Quickly
- Increasing cardiovascular exercise like running, biking or walking can help boost circulation. Also, stretching before and after exercising helps maintain your muscles.
- The sooner you quit smoking, the quicker your health will improve.
- The antioxidants in green tea help increase the width of the blood vessels so that your body can pump blood more easily.
- Include more omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. Fish like tuna and sardines can help improve blood flow and are very beneficial for your heart health.
- If you are anaemic , take iron supplements or eat iron-rich food. When you are deficient in iron , you dont have enough red blood cells to circulate oxygen throughout your body.
- Before bathing or taking a shower, gently brush your skin in long and upward strokes by using a soft brush. This process will increase your blood flow. Make it a point to start at your feet and move up to your heart.
Also Check: A1c Levels Blood Sugar Chart
Can Exercise Help Ed
Exercise is one of the most important lifestyle measures a man can make to improve erectile function.
A study from Sexual Medicine found that weekly exercise of 160 minutes for six months can decrease erectile problems in men whose ED results from cardiovascular diseases, metabolic syndrome, hypertension , obesity, and physical inactivity .
The British Journal of Sports Medicine published a study that confirmed exercise interventions and physical activity improve patient-reported ED. Aerobic exercise with moderate-to-vigorous intensity yielded the best results .
As you can see, regular exercise benefits men with erectile dysfunction. By increasing activity levels, you can improve your erectile function and overall quality of sex life.
Takeaways For Increasing Blood Circulation Improving Penile Function And Reversing Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction can be a mentally taxing condition to have. But once you get it, its important to recognize that there are ways you can still overcome it. This is especially true if youre younger and dont have risk factors associated with heart disease yet.
Cutting out smoking, eating healthily, hydrating yourself, exercising, and finding time to destress are the best ways to improve sexual dysfunction.
With the right mindset, you can improve erectile function and achieve better sexual performance in no time all while also gaining plenty of health benefits along the way.
Consult a sexual health doctor for a professional look into your condition. The medical professionals at Proactive Mens Medical Center in Cincinnati specialize in treating conditions that impact mens health, including erectile dysfunction. Our concierge approach positions your unique case at the centerpoint of our focus. We dont just give you a pill for ED and send you on your way. We treat the underlying issues that led to conditions such as ED, PE, Low Testosterone, and more. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.
Recommended Reading: Pain When Urinating And Blood
Decrease Stressful Sources That Cause Anxiety
Did you know that chronic stress can interfere with your bodys ability to improve blood flow?
This is because when people are stressed out all the time, their sympathetic nervous system becomes overactivated and secretes the stress hormone known as cortisol into their bloodstream.
Getting more sleep, meditating, doing yoga, or working on a favorite hobby are ways to help your body destress and relax.
If youre struggling with depression or anxiety, it would also be helpful to speak with a therapist about what steps you can take next.
Standing Pelvic Floor Activation
- Stand straight with the arms by the sides, and the feet hip-width apart.
- Using the technique above, activate the pelvic floor muscles for a count of three, and release for a count of three.
- Ensure that the stomach, buttocks, and leg muscles are not contracting.
Once a person is comfortable performing Kegel exercises three times a day, it can help to add exercises that involve more movement.
These Pilates exercises activate the right group of muscles and challenge a person to maintain pelvic floor strength while moving.
You May Like: Image Of Blood In Stool
Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
Because a mans brain, heart, nerves, muscles, emotions, and more all factor into his ability to get an erection, many things can cause ED. This includes:
These causes of ED can be categorized into two types: psychogenic and organic .
- Psychogenic causes include depression, low self-esteem, anxiety, and negative feelings about sex.
- Organic causes account for about 80 percent of ED cases and can be further classified as endocrine or non-endocrine. Endocrine-related causes are often connected to low testosterone levels, though more research is required to fully understand how the two intersect. Of the non-endocrine related causes of ED, vasculogenic causes, which affect blood supply and flow, are the most common.
How Common Is Erectile Dysfunction
Most men experience ED to some degree at some point in their life, but its largely underreported, says urologist Joshua Calvert, M.D. I tell my patients as a general rule of thumb that their decade of life is a predictor of how likely ED is for them, he explains. For example, 30-year-olds have about a 30 percent chance of developing ED, he says, adding that about half of men over 50 have it.
Research in the American Journal of Medicine found that only 20 percent of men between the ages of 40 and 59 said they could get a healthy enough erection for sex most of the time .
Is Low T Behind Your ED?
If Hones at-home assessment determines you have low T, a doctor can prescribe ED treatments and send them right to your home.
Also Check: Best Treatment For Blood Clot In Leg
Eat And Hydrate As You Should
Since your blood flow is tasked with delivering nutrients to nourish all of your organs, those nutrients have to get there from somewhere first. And thats not going to be a bag of chips youve devoured between meetings.
You generally want a diet composed of a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, legumes, as well as unsaturated fats and protein sources, while avoiding processed carbohydrates, trans fats, and too much salt. Easier said than done, we know. But when its your sexual performance at stake it might be a good incentive to really make an effort.
Besides, here are some foods that research has specifically linked with improved blood flow:
- Epidemiologic studies have shown that dietary flavonoids reduce the risk of cardiovascular irregularities. That means loading up on parsley, onions, blueberries, bananas, practically all citrus fruits as well as dark chocolate is a must.
- Nitric oxide has been studied extensively for improving blood flow, so paying special attention to cinnamon, leafy greens , and beetroots will do you lots of good
- Omega-3 fatty acids promote the release of nitric oxide, decrease blood pressure and support the proper functioning of the arterial system overall
There are also foods youd want to say goodbye to since theyve been proven to have negative cardiovascular effects on your body thus contributing to poor erectile performance: